Congratulations to Ashad and Michael!
Ashad finished his MS project on design and characterization of high speed bearingless PM motors.
Ashad will be joining Milwaukee Tool’s Power Tool Technology Team where he will be developing new motor technology platforms. You can read more about Ashad’s MS work in these publications:
- A. Farhan, M. Johnson, K. Hanson, and E. L. Severson, “Design of an ultra-high speed bearingless motor for significant rated power,” 2020 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2020, pp. 1772-1779, 10.1109/ECCE44975.2020.9236181.
- J. Chen, Y. Fujii, M. Johnson, A. Farhan, and E. L. Severson, “Optimal Design of the Bearingless Induction Motor,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 2021, pp. 1375-1388, 10.1109/TIA.2020.3044970.
- J. Chen, A. Farhan, M. Johnson, and E. L. Severson, “Design of Bearingless Permanent Magnet Motors Using No Voltage Combined Windings,” IET 10th International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD), 2020, pp. 803-808, 10.1049/icp.2021.1116.
Michael has just completed his MS degree which explores the feasibility of electrostatic levitation of macroscale rotating machines. Michael’s work includes the demonstration of an electrostatic bearing that levitates a 5 inch disk. Michael was co-advised with Prof Dan Ludois.
Michael is joining the electric motor controls group at General Motors. He will be implementing and testing motor and inverter control algorithms for GM’s new electric vehicle releases. You can read more about Michael’s MS work in these publications:
- M. Mayberry, D. C. Ludois, and E. L. Severson, “Towards Electrostatic Levitation of Rotating Machines,” 2020 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2020, pp. 270-277, 10.1109/ECCE44975.2020.9235383.
- M. Mayberry, D. C. Ludois, and E. L. Severson, “Towards Electrostatic Levitation of Macroscale Rotating Machines,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Under Review